I thought I would share some of the things I encounter on a daily basis. This includes my commute to and from work, during work (which there is never a typical day) and any other activity that comes my way.
So I try my best to be out my front door by 8:10am. I begin my 10 minute walk to the subway stop, and on the way every morning as I head west I am greeted by Ms. Liberty herself, and she is always a beautiful site. I have now learned to wear ugly comfy shoes during my commute which involves switching trains (subways) 3 times, taking close to an hour and which almost all the the time I am standing because it is sooo crowded.
Then I get to my last stop Penn Station, and I am in the heart of West Midtown. I come up the stairs from the train and I am greeted this time by the wonderful Empire State Building, it makes me smile every morning. Then I give a quick glance to Madison Square Garden as I rush along with the crowd to work.
I say hello to security, swipe my badge and head up to the 8th floor, and straight into my very own office with a window! If I turn my head around to the left I can actually see the busy street and not just the next office building. So that is what my day starts off like IF I am heading into the office, several times a week I am out of the office visiting our facilities where we provide home health assistance. I enjoy these site visits and it makes for an interesting job. Working with the elderly is never dull. The days I do site visits I spend the time visiting with our elderly clients, and touching base with our staff nurses and aids, making sure everyone is happy, which I am learning is a very difficult task.
Our elderly clients are mostly Jewish, and a majority of them are Holocaust survivors, which has really touched my heart. I look forward to continuing to get to know them, I have already received "Mazoltof" greetings and kisses this past week when I was introduced. They can be a lively bunch.
Some days out of the week I head to my gym after work. My gym is located in a terrible spot.... Harold Square... The home of the largest Macy's and blocks and blocks of retail shopping. It is a constant temptation....
I head home again on the subway. This time there is almost always jazz, folk, or some other live music being performed. Its always fun and perks me up after a long day. Unfortunately about once a week on my commute I see a subway RAT scampering along, they are not shy! The past 2 times they have been up on the platform with us, as we squeal and try to stay out of they way! One of my biggest pet peeves is, all the people blaring their music in their earphones. Its not so much because of the sound, but that they are going to go deaf. I just want to rip it out of their ears and say.... really, it really has to be that loud? So this past week I was coming down the elevator at work and a guy got on with his music blaring, and when the music got quiet between songs, I looked at him and said "You really are going to go deaf", he said "Yeah I have already noticed some hearing loss" Seriously! Really? People.....
And an update on Greg he is still in his office studying.....
5 years ago
That sounds so great Anna! How fun to be able to see all those great sites every day. And also what a great experience working with all those people who survived the Holocaust. Sounds like you are doing really good!
ReplyDeleteAnna, what a great story. I loved loved, every minute of hearing about it. Thanks. super excited for you. Your in the money.
ReplyDeleteHey! Sounds like an exiciting, busy day. I love the Greg update...lol.
ReplyDelete